“Online payment” - pay 100% online before the job
The client can choose this option, and pay 100% of the price of the job online, before receiving the contact information of the jobber. This way the jobber will also receive their full payment online - when the job is successfully completed.
When choosing this option, the client will be debited the full amount and receive a paycode when finalising the arrangement with the jobber (time, date, job details, etc.), which they will give to the jobber when the job is finished.
“Direct payment” - pay a deposit before the job
The “direct payment method” is done online by paying a deposit (usually 20%) of the full price of the job. Once the job has been successfully completed, the client then pays the jobber the remaining fee (usually 80%) directly at the place of the job through whichever method they agree upon (in cash, by check, via bank transfer, or other).
NeedHelp’s deposit charge is on average 20%, which makes it possible to cover the operational costs, assistance and monitoring of jobs 7 days a week and a complete insurance policy provided by Axa.
Reminder: All transactions done via the NeedHelp platform are 100% secure.